Wednesday, February 21, 2007


2-16-07 Friday
Alan wanted to have the new car rolling by 5pm, which was the meeting time. Earl marked slots to be cut for the front wheels, and Nate M. went to a store for helicoils for our rear hub. Dr. Z. had a meeting with both our team and the senior design team at 5pm. Earl wasn’t there because he was working at the Hive, but apparently, Dr. Z. wants to leave on Friday, April 6 to go to the Eco-Marathon in California. And everyone agreed to the terms that if a vehicle isn’t ready by then, that it will get left behind (ie, the senior design team). So if we really leave on Friday, we’ll have like 3 days to goof off in Vegas, to go to Hoover Dam, and also go to the beach in Los Angeles. booya. Earl went with Alan in the EMS truck as Alan drove over to the SSC for CedarMania, and told him about the meeting. At the Projects, Nate Roy took the engine out back of the Projects and tried to start it. It was very cold. The engine did not start, and didn’t sound like it was even close to it. Nate is pretty sure that the cam gear on the crankshaft slipped, and the piston may have struck the valves. Earl and Trent did the shoe-shine-style sanding over the rear section of the car, using sanding belt that we cut open. It took out any bumpy spots. Nate M. made new spacer tubes for the front steering after making the steering level with that digital smart-level. Earl did extensive sanding on the Duratec, trying to get the rear of the car to look good for our paint job. Dustin Winchester took the head off the engine, and found that the valves were in fact bent. Everyone left around 11:20 or so. Earlier in the week, Wes found the orange color of the 2007 Lamborghini Murceilago on PPG’s website, and Dr. Z. later told Earl that Performance Paint could duplicate it for us. That would be to re-pain Gold Lightning, and we’ll have Dr. Z. do our decals for us.
From GL2 Feb 07

2-17-07 Saturday
Engineering Day…after talking to all the visitors, Dr. Z. came over and put some double-stick tape on Solar Splash’s long sanding block, and wet-sanded some of the rear section on the new car, to show Earl how great a tool it is for taking out waves in the body. The sanding Earl and Trent had done of Friday got rid of bumps if you ran your hand up and down over the top of the car, but not side-to-side. Dr. Z. said the side-to-side bumps are the ones that would show up in a paint job, not the up-and-down ones. Good stuff to know.

2-18-08 Sunday
Projects building closed. Boo hoo.

2-19-07 Monday
Earl got to the shop around 6:30, and wet-sanded most of the car again, this time with the long, flexible block from Solar Splash. It made the job go a lot faster because it covered a lot more area. Earl wanted to make the body as smooth as possible so the paint job would look good. And since the steering and rear chassis weren’t ready yet, he had time to do the bodywork before cutting off the rear section and ring for the canopy. The wet-sanding exposed about a dozen low spots, so Earl did some spots of Duratec, and left around 9:20pm. Hopefully the bodywork will be done soon…the nose is still needing work done, and Earl really doesn’t like the prospect of doing it.

From GL2 Feb 07

2-20-07 Tuesday
In the morning, 11:30-12:30, Earl did some sanding on the duratec he’d spotted on the night before, before working at the Hive at 1, subbing for somebody. After the Liberia team meeting was ended by a fire alarm at 6, Earl continued working on sanding. Dr. Z. came over, and talked to Earl about cutting the ring for the canopy, and how to strengthen the ring. He also told Earl to keep wet-sanding so no shiny stuff shows (mainly in the front). So, Earl used 120 grit paper to sand the front half of the car, and the bottom radius all the way around. The heavier sandpaper will take out any waves faster. Nate McLeese was working on measuring for a longer throttle cable for Gold Lightning, and working on how to mount the new brake handle, required for the Eco-Marathon. Dustin was tearing down the engine, and found that the cam gear was very loose on the crankshaft. That is what caused the timing to get off, and the piston to hit the valves. Just what they thought.

No comments: